Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A night with the Utah JAZZ!


Megan, Me, Gina, Lisa after dance class with the Utah Jazz Dancers!

I spent my night taking the audition prep class for the Nu Skin Jazz Dancers- oh what a blast.  I can already feel my muscles getting sore!  Those that knew me before I became a modern dance major (discussing time, space, energy, dynamic change, symbolism, etc. ) know that I was quite the jazzerina.  Yes, most Friday nights I was at school with my poms pulling some cheesy dance moves.  But in the end... those were some of my favorite memories from high school (and gave me great opportunities - hello, New York - hello, London).  I had so so so much fun... just like I did tonight.

No, I am not auditioning to be a Utah Jazz dancer... come this Saturday I will be sporting a bridesmaids dress instead of a skimpy dance outfit (best friend's wedding trumps dance audition ANY day).  Tonight was all I needed.  As I was "free-styling" (dancing wildly with the music however you feel - no choreography), I really remembered how much I freaking LOVE dancing- and having Lisa, Megan, and Gina there helped with the loving, too!  This was one of the first dance classes, in four whole years, that I have taken without having to worry about a grade!  It felt so good.  BUT - as we were sitting down to the question and answer session after a high energy class I lost my enthusiasm.  Once they mentioned the 7 hours of rehearsals a week in addition to all the performances and appearances, I knew it wasn't time yet.  I love dancing - I really do - but I know if I go back to dancing and rehearsing even half as much as I was, I won't love dancing much longer.  (Not to mention a lot of being a Jazz Dancer is based on your look and body type rather then your actual dance skills, and while I can understand why that is, it still really bugs me...)  

Over the next year - or few years -  I know I will have to take a dance class every now and then to maintain my sanity, but I still think a break is very much needed.  I'm so excited for all the other possibilities that are opening up for me!!!  Yay life!

Me, in my high school cheesy jazz dancing days!

No comments:

Post a Comment