Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Massachusetts... MMM

The state of Massachusetts has played a hug role in my mood for the day.

First, one of my dearest and oldest friends- Emily Frydendall - is heading to Boston in two and a half weeks for a med school interview... and I am flying out to meet her there! Emily and I have been friends since 7th grade. She is genuinely one of the kindest, most supportive friends I have ever had, not to mention brilliantly smart (the girl pretty much single handedly got me through calculus and physics in high school), and I'm so excited for this next step in her life. Plus, Boston is my dear friend Diana's all time favorite city - so I cannot wait to go!

Now booking my flight TO Boston... was rougher than expected. My dad is awesomely awesome and is letting me use his frequent flyers, but apparently a daughter using frequent flyer miles is really confusing for those working at the airlines. I spent an hour on the phone today trying to get that all worked out... my itinerary was supposed to be emailed... it wasn't... sounds like I will be spending more time on the phone with the airline tomorrow... It will all be worth it, though.

Currently, I am watching Rachel Maddow reporting from Boston on MSNBC on the election that took place today in Massachusetts. Much more than frustrating airline employees... this issue really has me down. The vote was to replace the beloved Senator Ted Kennedy, the "Lion of the Senate" who recently passed away from brain cancer. (Anything having to do with the brain instantly gets my attention.) Ted Kennedy, especially with his health situation, was one of the strongest senators for health care reform. He also was able to accomplish what most Democrats can not... compromise and gain the respect of Republicans. The loss of him in the senate was a great loss for the country. I am very much a Democrat, but I fully realize that this country would not work, and would not be as great, if everyone believed what I believe. But I truly TRULY believe in health care reform as it has affected my life and the lives of those I love. Today a "teabagger"/Republican was elected to fill Teddy Kennedy's senate seat - surprising because Massachusetts is a largely Democratic state and has not had a Republican Senator since 1972. This is a major bummer because 1) Dems no longer have the votes they need to pass health care reform and 2) this man is the exact opposite of Ted Kennedy. In Massachusetts 98% of people have health insurance- so this was not an election that dictated health care reform for them... but it does dictate health care reform for the rest of the country. Congrats to the Republicans? ... I am majorly bummed out.

Also bumming me out? An article I read this morning that completely contradicts the praise I had for those in Haiti...

Losing a little bit of my faith in people today... here's hoping for a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment